Where storytellers express their personal experiences about memorable concerts

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Standing Strong for the Blues || The White Stripes || San Francisco Filmore 2002


I didn't have any desire to see the White Stripes. My desire was in the opening act, Brenden Benson. This was an artist that I had been tracking since his debut album album came into my music collection sometime in '97. I believe my brother gave it to me as a birthday gift, with a note, "you gotta check this guy out. He is amazing. I think he is some sort of Jason Falkner protege." Brenden had not been making the rounds across the US in some time, so I was excited to see that he was coming to San Francisco that June of 2002.

What surprised me the most was when I tried to buy tickets, the damn show was sold out. Bummed but not deterred, I figured I would try to buy some at the door from a scalper. My buddy, Eric Fraser, joined my on this adventure.

I do have to say that my interest was sparked about these White Stripes. I went down to Streetlight Records and decided to take a chance and acquire their second full length, De Stijl. A fan of the title already due to the artistic theme that I would soon discover was the white stripes. I gave the CD a spin a few times before the show, but distractions seemed to get in the way from a good listen.

We arrived early and the negotiations began. There were plenty of people selling the general admission tickets, so we knew that we would see the show. Tickets were $20 with an $8.50 service charge and we did not want to go much over that. Setting our eyesights on a struggling scalper with his own personal bar set at $40 a ticket, we honed in and began the dance. The scalper would not budge, but he was on the wrong side of the street, trying to avoid the other corner salesmen. Five minutes into Whirlwind Heat's set, the underpowered salesman undid his belt and let them fly for $25 a piece. We could've paid more to ticketmaster. Feelin' already ahead of the game, Eric and I went upstairs to the Ballroom.

It seems like we did not miss much for our discounted purchase after catching half of the opening act's set. It just didn't do much for me. Plus, my expectations were set for Brenden Benson who was up next.

Brenden didn't disappoint. He lit up the stage playing a lot from his new album, Lapalco as well as some from One Mississippi. Unfortunately it was an abrieviated set due to the three band line up. Fortunately because he was an opening act, I was able to get right up front and really enjoy the show. After his set I walked away feeling satisfied. Check him off the list of great musicians that I wanted to see if they could "bring it" in a live performance. He did.

Feeling content, I grabbed a cold beer and set up in a good spot on the ballroom floor to witness The White Stripes live. They had funny looking dudes dressed in black suites with red shirts, black tie & Derby hats setting up the equipment. This was going to be a spectacle. The stage was set up with a big clock reminisent of Alice in Wonderland except in red & white.  It was placed at the top of the stairs.  The lights dimmed, then I heard it for the first time.....the live buzzsaw sound of Jack White's beat up, plastic Airline guitar coming through an old Silvertone Amp.  My jaw was lying on the ground as he held the guitar straight up above his head and rocked those chords harder than I have ever seen anybody rock chords before.  Alone.  Naked for the world to take note.  I certainly did.
qq
With the guitar above his head he slowly proceeded down the staircase as Meg White's primal drumming kicked into gear.  This was the most powerful musical scene of my life.  I wanted an electric guitar.  Now I have heard of this phenomenom happening before.  When I was just a little seed, I heard about millions of youngsters across the U.S. seeing the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan show for the first time and getting that same feeling.  I had heard these stories before, but I never thought it would happen to me.  Well the White Stripes quickly shook up my world and made me obsessed with playing the guitar and getting a "sound".

As Jack marched downward on the staircase and ripped through an evangelical version of "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" he only set a precedent of what was about to follow.  Following up they came hauling ass with "Let's Shake Hands" and then "I think I smell a Rat".  Hitting in the clean up position was (later I found this out) a crowd favorite of a Dolly Parton hit "Jolene".  Personally, I recognized it from my parents "Urban Cowboy" phase in the early 80s.  The whole time I could not believe my ears.  "How did the blues get here?" I kept asking myself, gleefully acknowledging that I really didn't care about "how" I was just so glad it was penetrating my eardrums with such force at that very moment.

And then another thought came to mind, "Just two people.  How could so much noise and energy come from just two people?"  I was mesmerized by the show.  I had completely forgotten that I had seen Brendan Benson earlier that evening.  My new main focus were the White Stripes.  A mind-blowing duo from Detroit that packed enough punch to beat a Shelby Mustang off the line.  I was thoroughly impressed to the downright point of obsessed during the weeks that followed.

Other Standouts from the 24 song hour & half set of music were the blues laced "Stop Breaking Down", "Ball and Biscuit" & "Lord, Send me an Angel".  Covers included a version of Burt Bacharach's "I just don't know what to do with myself", Dylan's "Isis" & Loretta Lynn's "Rated X" as well as the aforementioned "Jolene".

Well the curtain dropped and the lights went on one saw a lot of jawed dropped permanent grins tattooed upon music lovers faces.  And I was one of them.


And why not a video for kicks.....

2 comments:

  1. Bloody brilliant review.
    I was effected by the Stripes the same way you were - I bought myself a cheap drum kit and have been learning to play it for a year now. Nothing beats smashing on them Meg style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Veronica Thank you for the comments, but I guess the real people to thank are Jack and Meg. Truly inspiring. Music heals all wounds and fills life with a certain vitality. Keep pounding those skins!

    ReplyDelete